The Secretary's Handbook
Facebook | Linkedin | Twitter | Academic Publications
Social Media Handbooks By Industry
- Events - Organize gatherings, respond to invites, and keep up with what your people are doing.
- Groups - Share and keep in touch with the important groups in your life.
- Notes - Publish what's on your mind in a full rich format.
- Pages - Connect people to your business or brand on Facebook.
- Places (Location Services) - Places is a Facebook mobile application that allows you to see where your friends are and share your physical location. You can check in to nearby Places to tell your friends where you are, tag your friends in the Places you visit, and view comments your friends have made about the Places you visit. Use Places to experience Facebook in a completely new way by connecting with your friends in the real world.
- Ask a Question - Facebook Questions lets you get recommendations, conduct polls and learn from your friends and other people on Facebook.
- Chatting - Send instant messages or call online friends.
- Liking - Give positive feedback and connect with things you care about.
- Posting - Share information with friends by posting content onto your Facebook page. You can post any of the following content items: questions, statuses, photos, videos and links.
- Poking - Poke a friend to simply say hello!
- Messaging - Send a message to a friend.
- Searching - Search for people and content on Facebook.
- Subscribing - Hear from people you’re interested in, even if you’re not friends.
- Tagging - A tag links a person, page, or place to something you post, like a status update or a photo.
- Video Calling - Talk to your friends face to face.
- Activity Log (Timeline) -Your activity log is a list of your posts and activity, from today back to the very beginning. You’ll also see stories and photos you’ve been tagged in, as well as the connections you’ve made – like when you liked a Page or added someone as a friend.
- Privacy - Get the information you need to control your sharing on Facebook.
- Company Profile - A place to post information about your company.
- Events - LinkedIn Events is an application that allows you to see what events your LinkedIn network is attending and allows you to find events recommended to you based on your industry and job function.
- Groups - LinkedIn Groups provide a place for professionals in the same industry or with similar interests to share content, find answers, post and view jobs, make business contacts.
- Jobs - Post a job post into your Linkedin account.
- Personal Profile - A place to post information about your profile.
- Questions and Answers - Ask questions and receive answers.
- Status Updates - Company status updates allow your administrators to directly engage with viewers and followers of your Company Page. You can post and share items like company news, promotions, relevant industry articles, and YouTube videos.
- Sharing or Recommending Events - From the Share this Event box on the right side of the event page, you can share an event with your network, individual connections, or on Twitter and Facebook.
- Acitivities - The Activity timeline shows you real-time information about the actions being taken by people you follow. See who they’ve retweeted, followed, replied to, and more. This is a good way to discover interesting content on Twitter.
- Profile - Access your Twitter profile page from the menu in your top navigation bar, or from your Home tab. Your profile displays your Tweets, stats, and information about who you are. Others see this when they look you up on Twitter. Edit any of this info by clicking on Edit your profile.
- Retweet (noun) - A Tweet by another user, forwarded to you by someone you follow. Often used to spread news or share valuable findings on Twitter.
- Stories - Stories are personalized for you based on recent popularity and your connections, location, and language. Click on any of them to read what people are saying. Timeline - A real-time list of Tweets on Twitter.
- Tweet (noun) - A message posted via Twitter containing 140 characters or fewer.
- Widget - A bit of code that can be placed anywhere on the web. Updates regularly with one's Twitter updates in real time.
- @Reply - People say lots of things on Twitter, and sometimes you want to say something back. Your reply will always begin with @username (insert username of the person you are replying to). Anyone Tweet that is a reply to you will show up in your @Mentions tab on your homepage.
- Follow - Find and follow people whose Tweets interest you from your Discover tab. Browse tailored recommendations on the who to follow page, find friends using your address book, or browse categories of popular accounts.
- Message - A Direct Message is a personal message sent via Twitter to one of your followers. DMs are different than mentions and @replies.
- Retweet (verb) - To retweet, retweeting, retweeted. The act of forwarding another user's Tweet to all of your followers.
- Search - To search for Tweets, people, hashtags, or topics, type your query into the search box in the top navigation bar. From the Connect tab, results default to people; from the Discover tab, results default to Tweets. Toggle between results at any time using the menu on the left.
- Tweet (verb) - Tweet, tweeting, tweeted. The act of posting a message, often called a "Tweet", on Twitter.
- Facebook Data Team - You can have data without information, but you cannot have information without data.